African Odyssey is a true adventure into Africa. Starting in South Africa and heading into the less explored Namibia. This beautiful country nestles along the Atlantic Coast with Botswana to the east. Our tour starts in Cape Town and finishes in Windhoek. Join us for our South Africa Motorcycle tour.
AFRICAN ODYSSEY: SOUTH AFRICA & NAMIBIA
After picking up our bikes we head south to visit the historic site of cape of good hope and spend the night in the winelands, before striking out north through the Hawaqwa nature reserve and over the Ceres Mountain to Mount Ceder. On through the Ceder Mountains heading along the Oliphants River Valley we are heading for Namibia.
After a night close to the border we will cross and head on to Fish River Canyon, the second largest canyon in the world. Heading west we stay in the small community of Aus and take a day to ride to the ghost town of Kolmanskop. Formerly a diamond mining settlement it was abandoned in the 1950’s and now sits knee deep in the sand of the desert. From here we ride some of the most beautiful roads in Namibia to Moon Mountain and Sossusvlei. We have a day off the bikes to explore Sossusvlei with its 400m high red sand dunes and white salt and clay pans. It is a photographers dream.
On to Swakopmund to relax and explore this German Colonial Town on the Atlantic Coast, with its warm ocean beaches. We head up the coast before turning in land. We are spending the night in Vingerklip, known as the “Monument Valley of Namibia”. The similarities are striking. The Ugab terraces rise over 200 feet from the valley floor making for more dramatic photographs. And then the Etosha National park awaits the following day. A day off the bikes as we enjoy a game drive in the park home to elephant (some of the largest in Africa), black rhino and even leopard. Lions are camouflaged in the pale golden grasslands, while giraffes rise high above and are easier to spot!
From Etosha we are heading back to Windhoek and our final night and celebration. We are confident you will leave with both your cameras and hearts full of Namibia which will stay with you forever.
The routes for our tour are 60% on compacted gravel and dirt roads. We are not going off road but you do need to be a competent and confident gravel road/trail rider. There are some sandy sections of the trails and on occasion these can be deep in places. If you have completed a course like BMW Off Road Skills Level 1 this should adequately prepare you for the ride. If not we would STRONGLY recommend that you complete this course prior to travel. You can take advantage of a 10% discount on the course if you book this tour. If you have any doubts about your ability / suitability for the tour please call us for a discussion.
Motorrad Tours welcome all makes and models of bike on tour. We also have a range of BMW bikes that you can hire. All our hire bikes for Classic and European Explorer Tours are current model BMW’s complete with ABS, Heated Grips, Panniers, Top Box, Tank Bag, Inner bags for all boxes and a pre programmed BMW Navigator GPS included.
|Price option||Solo Shared Single Room||Solo Single Room||*Rider and passenger|
|Including an F750GS Hire Bike||8295||9095||13095|
|Including an F850GS Hire Bike||8495||9295||13295|
|Including an R1250GS Hire Bike||8695||9495||13495|
|Including an R1250GS Adventure Hire Bike||8895||9695||13695|
HIRE BIKES: If you are booking with a hire bike we will hand your bike over on the afternoon prior to the first tour day. This will give you a chance to get familiar with the bike, make any adjustments, arrange your packing and not waste any time on the first day riding.
Day 1 Fly into Cape Town to be met at the airport and transferred to our hotel
Day 2 Ride the Cape Peninsula and the beautiful False Bay to Elgin on an easy first day
Day 3 The start of our journey north through the Matroosberg and Cederberg Mountains
Day 4 Through the Northern cape to the village of Nieuwoudtville on the Bokkeveld Plateau, where the Cape Fynbos meets the Hantam Karoo
Day 5 Still heading north we are ready for the border crossing to Namibia the next day
Day 6 After the border formalities you will ride to Fish River Canyon, the second largest canyon in the world
Day 7 Form the Richterveld Transfrontier Park we are heading for the small town of Aus
- Cape Town
- Cape Town
- Fish River Canyon
- Day Excursion in Etosha National Park
- Miles of fantastic gravel roads
- Pre tour pack including tour information, Michelin maps, route notes and GPS routes in Garmin/BMW format
- GPS Mapping for the areas ridden
- Electronic copy of the World of BMW Touring Essentials Book
- Accommodation in mostly 4 star guesthouses / hotels / lodges
- All breakfasts
- All Dinners (excludes beverages)
- Fourteen days motorcycle rental incl. of all mileage and CDW insurance (£2,000 Excess / Deductible)
- Set of maps for all riders
- Airport transfers to / from Hotel / Airport in Windhoek / Cape Town
- Entrance to Fish River Canyon
- Full day Excursion to Etosha including game drive in open vehicle and National Parks fees
- Sossusvlei Excursion
- Entrance to Kolmanskop Ghost Town
- Motorrad Tours tour guide on motorcycle for the duration of the tour
- Back up vehicle and driver for the duration of the tour
- BMW GS Motorcycle equipped with on/off road tyres
- Carriage of one 60L soft piece of customer luggage in the support vehicle
- Commemorative Polo Shirt for all riders and passengers
- Expert advice and support throughout
- The protection of booking with a fully bonded tour operator
- Toll fees
- Travel Insurance
- Anything not listed as included