Think of the Arctic and you think of vast, snow-covered lands, frost, ice and months of near-constant darkness, lit only by the Northern Lights. But that is where you’d be wrong.
ARCTIC AND THE MIDNIGHT SUN
During the summer months the Arctic is a beautiful, verdant place, blessed with scorching hot weather, where the sun doesn’t set for weeks upon weeks. From fjords to glaciers, Norway is one of the most picturesque places in the world.
Your tour begins in Germany, after the first of many ferry crossings that will take you over 2,500 miles and into the legendary Arctic Circle and back. After a night in Germany and our welcome dinner you will be crossing to Norway via the overnight ferry to Oslo with miles to do off the ferry to Lillehammer former home to the Winter Olympics. For the next four days you will be heading North. You will be riding up the spine of Norway with various optional detours on to smaller roads and routes. You will enjoy a night in Trondheim with the beautiful clapboard buildings on the wharfs of the Nidelva river. Already the long days and perpetual twilight will have become the norm.
The ride to Mo I Rana leaves you on the doorstep of the Arctic Circle. You are here two nights so that you can take the ride 50 miles north and cross N66 33′ 39″ and visit the Arctic Circle monument. On the way back you can take the optional detour to the boat landing stage at Svartisen. From here a small boat can take you to the Svartisen glacier. In Mo i Rana you will witness the incredible Midnight Sun, during which the sun never sets or even reaches the horizon.
The next four day’s riding take you down the coast of the Norwegian Sea, ferry hopping from one Fjord to the next. The roads twist and wind around inlets and fjords, climbing and descending until you reach the waters edge and the next ferry. These are days of dramatic and beautiful scenery as well as great riding as you head for the Atlantic Ocean Road. This iconic section linked with bridges that seem to twist and turn in mid air is a firm favourite. You will spend one night in Nasmos and two in Alesund.
Alesund gives you a chance to relax, but most riders pass it up to go out and ride the Trollstigen Highway and visit the waterfalls. This much photographed serpentine road is a must ride route for any motorcyclist. From Alesund you head further south to Bergen for two nights where you can relax on the UNESCO listed Hanseatic Wharf or wander the narrow alleyways and external balconies of this medieval town. From the bustle of Bergen to the remote Kongsberg and the chance to visit the Heroes of Telemark Museum en route. Your final ride in Norway is back to Oslo to board the early afternoon ferry to Germany.
After arriving in Kiel you still have two days ride across Northern Germany. We take the chance to visit the UNESCO listed Kinderdijk windmills and even have a couple more ferries to negotiate. The final day takes you back to the Hook of Holland and your overnight ferry returning to Harwich. You will have stayed in traditional Norwegian hotels, ridden endless, empty roads and witnessed some of the most dramatic scenery in the world – Norway is unique.
NB: There are some long days on this tour and some that require early starts when we are ferry hopping the Norwegian Sea, but the remote beauty of Norway makes it all worth while.
Motorrad Tours welcome all makes and models of bike on tour. We also have a range of BMW bikes that you can hire. All our hire bikes for Classic and European Explorer Tours are current model BMW’s complete with ABS, Heated Grips, Panniers, Top Box, Tank Bag, Inner bags for all boxes and a pre programmed BMW Navigator GPS included.
|Price option||Solo Shared Single Room||Solo Single Room||*Rider and passenger|
|Riding Your Own Motorcycle||3695||4895||5495|
|Including an F800GS, F900GS or F900XR Hire Bike||5480||6680||7280|
|Including an R1300GS, R1250RS or R1250RT Hire Bike||5820||7020||7620|
|Including an S1000XR Hire Bike||5905||7105||7705|
|Including an R1250GS Adventure Hire Bike||6075||7275||7875|
|Including a K1600 Grand America Hire Bike||6160||7360||7960|
HIRE BIKES: If you are booking with a hire bike we will hand your bike over on the afternoon prior to the first tour day. This will give you a chance to get familiar with the bike, make any adjustments, arrange your packing and not waste any time on the first day riding.
Day 1 Overnight ferry crossing from Harwich, UK to the Hook of Holland
Day 2 Your first days ride, north through the German countryside to Bremen and your welcome dinner
Day 3 A morning ride is followed by a 14:00 departure on the overnight ferry from Kiel to Oslo
Day 4 Arriving in Oslo at 10:00 you will head north through Henefoss and Gjovik to the 1994 Winter Olympic venue of Lillehammer
Day 5 Ride the main arterial road of Norway the E6 "the road over the roof of the world"
Day 6 You follow the Trondheimsfjord through Steinkjer and Mosjoen before arriving at our base for the next two nights
Day 7 Polar Day! Just 50 miles north of Mo i Rana is the Polar Circle, with a visitor centre right on the 66 degree 33 minutes
- Ride to the Arctic Circle, another
- Fjords, Ferries and Fantastic Scenery
- Experience the Midnight Sun
- Ride the Trollstigen Mountain Road, a cloud scraping complex of hairpins, over and under waterfalls
- Visit the UNESCO listed port of Bryggen, the old wharf district of Bergen
- Ride the amazing Atlantic Road connecting countless islands along the coast
- Stop at the venue of the 1994 Winter Olympics – Lillehammer
- Two nights in Alesund noted for its unique concentration of Art Nouveau architecture
- Two nights in Bergen with a chance to ride the Fløibanen Funicular or visit the Edvard Grieg Museum
- A chance to visit the Heroes of Telemark Museum
- UNESCO listed Kinderdijk Windmills
- Pre tour pack including tour information, Michelin maps, route notes and GPS routes in Garmin/BMW format
- Electronic copy of the World of BMW Touring Essentials Book
- All accommodation as listed in the itinerary in 3 or 4 star hotels
- All breakfasts
- Overnight parking charges for you motorcycle
- Welcome and farewell dinners (Bremen and Wildehausen) (excludes beverages)
- Dinner in Alesund (one night) and Kongsburg (excludes beverages)
- Motorrad Tours Tour Leader throughout the Tour
- Overnight ferry from the Harwich UK to Hook of Holland and back in an inside cabin
- Overnight ferry from the Kiel Germany to Oslo Norway and back in an inside cabin
- Commemorative Polo shirt for all riders and passengers
- Expert advice and support throughout
- The protection of booking with a fully bonded tour operator
- Dinners other than those listed
- Travel Insurance
- Local ferries across the Fjords
- Anything not listed as included