South Africa is a beautiful country blessed with extraordinary contrasts: Wild coastline, vast tracts of untouched wilderness, iconic natural wonders, amazing wildlife, superb wines and a year-round idyllic climate.
GARDEN ROUTE: SOUTH AFRICA
At a Glance
17 Feb 2024 02 Mar 2024
16 Feb 2025 02 Mar 2025
Tour Starts in
Where We Ride
Your South Africa motorcycle tour journey starts in Cape Town with a free day to explore the town or to relax after your flights. Take the Cape Town City tour, visit Table Mountain, or take the Khayelitsha Township Tour, there is lots to see and do before collecting your bike ready for the first days ride. The first day is a loop ride back to Cape Town via The Cape of Good Hope where oceans meet with the chance to visit the Penguins at the Boulders Beach Colony en route. You then head off along the Garden Route and into the Western Cape, stopping in small towns like Montagu in the western Little Karoo. Two nights in Oudtshoorn with its many Ostrich farms proves an interesting diversion. On the free day we also have a beautiful loop ride to Mosel Bay planned.
One of your tour highlights will undoubtedly be the time spent at Addo Elephant National Park. This park of over 600 square miles is home to elephant, rhinoceros, lion, buffalo and leopard. You have a day off here to enjoy a game drive and see what wildlife you can find in this vast reserve.
There is more game spotting to be done as we move on to a private reserve -The Gem of the Karoo- for another two night stop over where you will enjoy a sunset game drive with more chances to see and photograph the diverse wildlife.
Then you are heading to the coast over the next two days where you can enjoy the long sandy white beaches and lagoons. Before you know it you are heading back towards Cape Town but not before stopping for a night at Arniston, with its lime washed thatched houses in the old fishing village. Your last night on the road is in Stellenbosch on the banks of the Eerste River, it is one of the earliest European settlements in South Africa.
When you get back to Cape Town you still have time to spend an evening watching the sun go down with Table Mountain in the background and the lights of Cape Town twinkling, sure in the knowledge that this journey through South Africa is arguably one of the best rides in the world.
This Explorer Tour uses only tarmac roads. However some of the hotel entrances (one is 30 miles) are hard packed easy gravel. There are two days where there is the option to take in some great gravel roads and trails including the famous Swartberg and Prince Afred’s Passes. However these are optional rides.
Motorrad Tours welcome all makes and models of bike on tour. We also have a range of BMW bikes that you can hire. All our hire bikes for Classic and European Explorer Tours are current model BMW’s complete with ABS, Heated Grips, Panniers, Top Box, Tank Bag, Inner bags for all boxes and a pre programmed BMW Navigator GPS included.
|Price option||Solo Shared Single Room||Solo Single Room||*Rider and passenger|
|Including an F750GS Hire Bike||6795||7795||10495|
|Including an F850GS Hire Bike||6995||7995||10695|
|Including an R1250GS Hire Bike||7295||8295||10995|
|Including an R1250GS Adventure Hire Bike||7495||8495||11195|
HIRE BIKES: If you are booking with a hire bike we will hand your bike over on the afternoon prior to the first tour day. This will give you a chance to get familiar with the bike, make any adjustments, arrange your packing and not waste any time on the first day riding.
Day 1 Arrive in Cape Town for the pre tour briefing and welcome dinner
Day 2 No riding today but still plenty to do: Cape Town City tour, Table Mountain, Khayelitsha Township Tour
Day 3 Collect your bike and ride to the Cape of Good Hope, visit the Penguins and ride Chapmans Peak Drive
Day 4 Ride out into the Western Cape and to Montagu in the Little Karoo
Day 5 Today you get to ride the picturesque route 62 at the heart of the Garden Route en route to Oudtshoorn
Day 6 A day in Oudtshoorn means you can either take a day off to relax or a loop ride to the beautiful Mossel Bay
Day 7 Your first night near this vast national park, the centre of Elephant conservation in South Africa
- Cape of Good Hope with Chapman’s Peak Drive
- Ride Prince Alfred’s Pass
- Ostrich Farm in Oudtshoorn
- Game drive at Addo Elephant Park
- Game drive at a private game reserve near Graaff-Reinet
- Lion, African Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Leopard, and Rhinoceros
- Southernmost Point of Africa Cape L’Algulha
- Ride to the Cape of Good Hope on Chapmans Peak Drive
- Riding the coastal road between Betty’s Bay and Gordon’s Bay
- Chance to visit Table Mountain
- Ride the Swartberg Pass
- Cape Town and the V&A Waterfront
- Chance to visit UNESCO listed Robben Island, Where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 18 years
- City Tour of Cape Town
- Pre tour pack including tour information, Michelin maps, route notes and GPS routes and GPS Mapping in Garmin/BMW format
- Electronic copy of the World of BMW Touring Essentials Book
- Accommodation in mostly 4 star guesthouses / hotels / lodges
- All breakfasts
- Nine Dinners (excludes beverages)
- Twelve days motorcycle rental incl. of all mileage and CDW insurance
- Airport transfers to / from Hotel / Airport in Cape Town
- Cape Town City Tour
- Table Mountain
- Township Tour – City Sightseeing
- Entrance for Cape Peninsula National Park and Boulders Penguins
- Addo Park game drive in open vehicle including National Parks fees
- Game drive at private game reserve
- Motorrad Tours Tour Leader on a motorcycle for the duration of the tour
- Back up vehicle and driver for the duration of the tour
- Carriage of one 60L soft bag of customer luggage in the support vehicle
- Commemorative Polo Shirt for all riders and passengers
- Expert advice and support throughout
- The protection of booking with a fully bonded tour operator
- Toll fees
- Dinners other than those listed
- Travel Insurance
- Anything not listed as included