This is a rider’s tour, taking in some of the Picos, Asturias and Portugal’s most challenging and rewarding mountain passes and roads. You’ll be treated to some long, twisty and swooping riding days that will be remembered for a very long time. The Picos are blessed with empty roads for you to enjoy.
MOUNTAINS: PICOS AND ASTURIAS
Due to popular demand, we are using the shorter ferry service which means you’ll start with an overnight ferry from Plymouth to Santander. An afternoon arrival means a quick 75 miles to to take us high into the Picos. Our hotel is in the small village and the bikes will be carefully guarded by the resident St Bernard’s – If they wake up! Our first full days ride is through the twists and turns of the Picos and Asturias Mountains heading for our small hotel in the hills overlooking the Sil Valley in the heart of Galicia where you can soak the miles away in the Jacuzzi or steam room.
From here you are heading to our Quinta on the banks of the River Douro in the Douro Basin. Our home for the next two nights you can either relax in the heart of the vineyard or enjoy the loop ride we have planned covering 200 miles of exquisite roads taking you into the Douro International Natural Park and returning to our hotel along the banks of the river itself. At the centre of Portugal’s most highly regarded wine producing region, our hotel has plenty to offer. We have included a wine tasting while you are here so you will know what to choose with dinner.
Heading north again now the days are packed with more great roads, sweeping and swooping and heading to the Sierra De Montesinho Natural Park en route to Pubela de Sanabria. We are starting to head home now but there is still more great riding in the Asturias and Picos Mountains with our final two nights on Spanish soil in Paradors. Even our last day in Spain still has lots of riding on offer. With an early evening departure there are still miles of great Picos riding to be enjoyed, before you roll in to Santander tired but thrilled and ready to relax on the ferry for the cruise home.
Motorrad Tours welcome all makes and models of bike on tour. We also have a range of BMW bikes that you can hire. All our hire bikes for Classic and European Explorer Tours are current model BMW’s complete with ABS, Heated Grips, Panniers, Top Box, Tank Bag, Inner bags for all boxes and a pre programmed BMW Navigator GPS included.
|Price option||Solo Shared Single Room||Solo Single Room||*Rider and passenger|
|Riding Your Own Motorcycle||2495||2995||3595|
|Including an F800GS, F900GS or F900XR Hire Bike||3545||4045||4645|
|Including an R13000GS, R1250RS or R1250RT Hire Bike||3745||4245||4845|
|Including an S1000XR Hire Bike||3795||4295||4895|
|Including an R1250GS Adventure Hire Bike||3895||4395||4995|
If you wish to make your own way to the first night of the tour then at the point of booking you can choose to remove the UK - Spain - UK ferry. The costs saving will be £500. Please Note This option cannot be used in conjunction with a hire bike booking.
HIRE BIKES: If you are booking with a hire bike we will hand your bike over on the afternoon prior to the first tour day. This will give you a chance to get familiar with the bike, make any adjustments, arrange your packing and not waste any time on the first day riding.
Day 1 Your ferry departs from Plymouth and you have time to relax before arriving in Santander
Day 2 Arriving at early afternoon you have plenty of time to ride into the Picos Mountains
Day 3 Through the Picos and Asturias Mountains, climbing high into each range
Day 4 Ride through Portugal's only national park the Peneda-Geres park as we head to the banks of the Douro River for two nights
Day 5 Take the day to relax and sample the wines made on our Quinta or come for a great 200 mile loop ride
Day 6 Back on the road again as we head from the Douro Valley back to the mountains
Day 7 Back into Spain towards the Picos and another night in a Parador
- Breath-taking riding in the Picos, Cantabrian and Asturias Mountains
- Two nights on a Quinta in the heart of the vineyard on the banks of the Douro
- Riding some of our Tour Director’s favourite roads and routes
- Quiet roads and grippy tarmac!
- Three or four nights in Spanish Paradors, plus one in a Portuguese Pousada
- Great small hotels in remote locations
- Expert Riding Guide
- Pre tour pack including tour information, Michelin maps, route notes and GPS routes in Garmin/BMW format
- Electronic copy of the World of BMW Touring Essentials Book
- Commemorative polo shirt for all riders and pillions
- Nine nights accommodation as listed in the itinerary
- All breakfasts
- Welcome and farewell dinners (excludes beverages)
- Dinner in Monforte, Corias, Pubela de Sanabria and one night in Peso da Regua (excludes beverages)
- Wine Tasting and tour of the vineyard in Peso da Regua
- Motorrad Tours Tour Leader throughout the Tour
- Overnight ferry crossing and back including cabins and breakfast
- Expert advice and support throughout
- The protection of booking with a fully bonded tour operator
- Dinners other than those listed
- Travel Insurance
- Anything not listed as included