New tour for 2024. Spend an enchanting time riding twisty, quiet mountain roads through the rugged landscapes of northern Spain and Portugal. Described by one of our Tour Leaders as some of the best riding he has ever enjoyed, this tour is a mix of great routes, remarkable scenery and remote mountain locations in our Portugal motorcycle tour.
PORTUGAL AND THE PICOS MOUNTAINS
After the overnight ferry from the UK we start by heading straight into the Picos where you will spend two nights in our old stone hotel in a remote mountain village. The second day allows you to enjoy a choice of circular routes through the mountains to savour the empty winding roads of the Picos de Europa. We head west through the Picos and after a night in a Parador we pass the Sierra do Xistral mountains en route to the UNESCO listed Santiago De Compostella. At the end of the Camino de Santiago the shrine of St James has been a place of pilgrimage for Catholics for a thousand years. You have a free day here to wander the old town and explores its charms.
From here you are spending two days criss crossing fantastic routes through the Cantabrian Mountains staying in a Parador and a Portuguese Pousada in the Geres National Park. After these two days enjoying one of the most unspoilt and quieter areas that can be found in Western Europe, we are heading for two nights on a Quinta in the Douro Valley. Our hotel or “Quinta” is at the heart of vineyard nestling on the banks of the Douro River. We have arranged a tour of the vineyard and wine tasting for you to enjoy while we are here. A significant wine producing area the Douro Valley is the ideal place to relax, taste some of the local produce and have an easy day. Or of course we have a great ride that you can enjoy winding past vines and vineyards.
With Salamanca and Leon both still ahead of us and more great riding in the Picos once again the tour is far from over. The final three days still have some beautiful venues, demanding roads and great hotels as we cross back to Spain and back through the Picos once more for our final night in a Parador.
It is easy to see why people fall in love with the region. A great mix of twisty riding roads and remote locations to chill out and relive the day over a glass of Rioja or the local Douro. It remains largely undiscovered tucked in its remote corner of Europe. Why not come and discover it with us?
Motorrad Tours welcome all makes and models of bike on tour. We also have a range of BMW bikes that you can hire. All our hire bikes for Classic and European Explorer Tours are current model BMW’s complete with ABS, Heated Grips, Panniers, Top Box, Tank Bag, Inner bags for all boxes and a pre programmed BMW Navigator GPS included.
|Price option||Solo Shared Single Room||Solo Single Room||*Rider and passenger|
|Riding Your Own Motorcycle||3095||3795||4495|
|Including an F800GS, F900GS or F900XR Hire Bike||4460||5160||5860|
|Including an R1300GS, R1250RS or R1250RT Hire Bike||4720||5420||6120|
|Including an S1000XR Hire Bike||4785||5485||6185|
|Including an R1250GS Adventure Hire Bike||4915||5615||6315|
|Including a K1600 Grand America Hire Bike||4980||5680||6380|
If you wish to make your own way to the first night of the tour then at the point of booking you can choose to remove the UK - Spain - UK ferry. The costs saving will be £500. Please Note This option cannot be used in conjunction with a hire bike booking.
HIRE BIKES: If you are booking with a hire bike we will hand your bike over on the afternoon prior to the first tour day. This will give you a chance to get familiar with the bike, make any adjustments, arrange your packing and not waste any time on the first day riding.
Day 1 We have an afternoon ferry departing from Plymouth to Santander, travelling overnight
Day 2 Climb into the Picos de Europa mountains en route to the small town of Cosgaya
Day 3 A fantastic day spent riding the Picos and returning for a second night in Cosgaya
Day 4 We head west through the Picos National Park to our Parador for the evening
Day 5 Heading further west to Santiago De Compostella we skirt the Sierra do Xistral Mountains
Day 6 Riding in the hills south of the Douro Valley, there's vineyard after vineyard before arriving at our Quinta on the banks of the Douro
Day 7 Take a day to relax on the Vineyard, take the tour and enjoy a wine tasting and you can always come out for a ride?
- Fantastic Mountain Riding twisting and turning through the Picos and Cantabrians
- Two nights in UNESCO Listed Santiago De Compostela to explore this beautiful and ancient city
- Ride the UNESCO listed Douro region
- Two nights in a local Quinta to relax and sample the local wines
- Chance to spot Cantabrian Brown Bears and Wolves still indigenous to the region
- Authentic Spanish Paradors and Portuguese Pousadas
- Two nights in a remote hill town in the Picos with a day to ride out without luggage
- The stunning Baroque Plaza Mayor in Salamanca
- UNESCO Listed Leon Cathedral
- Pre tour pack including tour information, Michelin maps, route notes and GPS routes in Garmin/BMW format
- Electronic copy of the World of BMW Touring Essentials Book
- All accommodation as listed in the itinerary in 3 or 4 star hotels, plus Paradors, Pousadas and a Quinta
- All breakfasts
- Welcome and farewell dinners (excludes beverages)
- Dinners in Cosgaya on both nights, Corias and the first night at Regua (excludes beverages)
- Wine tasting in Peso da Regua
- Motorrad Tours Tour Leader throughout the Tour
- Overnight ferry from the UK to Spain and return including cabin and breakfast
- Commemorative Polo Shirt for all riders and passengers
- Expert advice and support throughout
- The protection of booking with a fully bonded tour operator
- Dinners other than those listed
- Travel Insurance
- Anything not listed as included