Patagonia is a remote, incredibly beautiful region spanning Chile and Argentina. It is a true wilderness, sparsely populated by humans but home to Puma, Guanaco, Penguins and the mighty Condor. It possesses contrasting landscapes with the snow capped peaks of the Andes, coastal inlets in Chile, turquoise lakes, the Patagonian Desert or steppe, blue glaciers and petrified forests. It’s beauty is unquestionable and unique. Join us on this fascinating motorcycle tour.
RIDE TO THE END OF THE WORLD: PATAGONIA
At a Glance
08 Jan 2024 27 Jan 2024
13 Jan 2025 01 Feb 2025
Tour Starts in
Extended to three weeks, your tour offers an amazing combination of dirt and tarmac riding against this most remarkable back drop. You will ride off the beaten track on one of our bikes, through some incredibly beautiful places in one of the last wilderness areas in the Americas on the ride down to Ushuaia.
Your route criss crosses the Andes from Chile to Argentina and back as we visit working Estancias, remote lake-side lodges, tiny German speaking communities as well as better known locations. Bariloche, the chocolate town, is reminiscent of a Swiss ski resort with chocolate and fondue; El Calafate the gateway to Los Glaciers National Park and the Perito Moreno Glacier; Across the infamous Straits of Magellan to Tierra Del Fuego, literally the Land of Fire; and of course Ushuaia the southerly most city in the world, known as Fin Del Mundo – The End of the World.
This route includes approximately 450 miles of gravel roads on Carretera Austral and the infamous Ruta 40. You will ride through the Argentine Lake District and over the Andes. We are travelling in summer but even then weather can be unpredictable and as you will ride along the ocean and over the Andes you should be prepared for a variety of weather and temperatures. It is a truly awesome journey in a unique area of the world.
You can go ice walking on a glacier, horse riding on the Patagonian Steppe, visit a Penguin Colony and ride to the end of the world – Fin del Mundo. Ushuaia is the most southerly city in the world but a few miles further south the road ends in the Lapataia National Park and this is where our journey takes us.
You’ll need some gravel road experience and a taste for adventure. The infrastructure here can be poor. You will be staying in some great lodges, hotels and hosteria but there are also some basic nights on working Estancia (farm) and in more remote locations although all are en suite. There is up to 200 miles between fuel stops on a few days with little or no amenities on the road. Crossing the Steppe on Ruta 40 can be subject to strong cross winds.
Patagonia can be one of our most challenging trips, but it’s one of the most rewarding and will make for memories which will stay with you for a lifetime.
Motorrad Tours welcome all makes and models of bike on tour. We also have a range of BMW bikes that you can hire. All our hire bikes for Classic and European Explorer Tours are current model BMW’s complete with ABS, Heated Grips, Panniers, Top Box, Tank Bag, Inner bags for all boxes and a pre programmed BMW Navigator GPS included.
|Price option||Solo Shared Single Room||Solo Single Room||*Rider and passenger|
|Including an F700/750GS Hire Bike||8895||10095||10695|
|Including an F800/850GS Hire Bike||9095||10295||10895|
|Including an R1200/1250GS Hire Bike||9395||10595||11195|
You can upgrade your motorcycle insurance cover for £32 per day to reduce the excess to a maximum of US$2,500.
PLEASE NOTE: If booking as a a solo rider in a single room there is one night (Ruta 40) where we may not be able to provide single room accommodation if the trip books fully. We will do our best to provide a single room on these nights but due to the remote locations and the limit on the number of rooms available it may not be possible.
PLEASE NOTE: This tour starts and ends in different locations in Chile and so you will need to book your flights appropriately. TIP: It can be more cost effective to book a return flight to Santiago de Chile and then book local separate domestic flights from Santiago to Puerto Montt for the start and back from Punta Arenas to Santiago at the end.
HIRE BIKES: If you are booking with a hire bike we will hand your bike over on the afternoon prior to the first tour day. This will give you a chance to get familiar with the bike, make any adjustments, arrange your packing and not waste any time on the first day riding.
Day 1 Arrive in Puerto Montt and transfer to Puerto Varas early afternoon to collect the bikes, have the pre tour briefing and welcome dinner
Day 2 You ride out from Puerto Varas and cross from Chile to Argentina for the first time into the beautiful Argentine Lake District
Day 3 A stunning days ride through the Argentine Lake District skirting lakes and mountains and your first taste of dirt roads
Day 4 Tarmac or dirt option to the remote town of Esquel and the chance to visit Butch Cassidy's hide away en route
Day 5 Back to Chile and on to Careterra Austral to a remote German settlement on the shore of an ocean inlet
Day 6 Stunning riding on the gravel of Careterra Austral along the inlet and then climbing to Coyhaique, where a bit of luxury awaits you
Day 7 Magnificent views, vibrant lagoons and the night staying in cabins close to the shore of the crystal Lake Argentina
- A true wilderness experience
- Riding the famous Ruta 40
- The Argentine Lake District
- Riding Careterra Austral, the ex military road running the length of Chile
- Truly Remote Locations
- Perito Moreno Glacier
- Torres Del Paine National Park
- Tierra Del Fuego
- The Milodon Caves
- Lapataia National Park
- Argentinian Steaks, Patagonian Lamb and Chilean Red Wine
- Penguins, Condor, Guanaco and maybe Puma if you are very lucky
- Riding to the most southerly City in the World
- Pre tour pack including tour information, Michelin maps, route notes and GPS routes and GPS Mapping in Garmin/BMW format
- Electronic copy of the World of BMW Touring Essentials Book
- Accommodation in as detailed in the itinerary – Five nights in remote Hosteria / Estancias, but all are en suite.
- All breakfasts
- Welcome and farewell dinners (excludes beverages)
- Dinner in the Estancia on Ruta 40, Cerro Sombrero x2, Puerto Guadal x2 and Tolhuin (excludes beverages)
- Motorrad Tours Tour Leader throughout the Tour
- Motorrad Tours support vehicle and driver throughout the Tour
- Motorcycle rental for the duration of the trip
- Third Party Insurance
- Carriage of one 40L soft bag of luggage per bike in the support vehicle
- Carriage of any flight bags directly from the first hotel to the last
- Airport transfers from Puerto Montt airport to our hotel in Puerto Varas and from the Punta Arenas hotel to Punta Arenas airport
- Return ferry crossing to Tierra del Fuego
- Entrance to los Alerces National Park
- Entrance to Torres del Paine National Park
- Entrance to Lapataia National Park
- Commemorative Polo Shirt for all riders and passengers
- Expert advice and support throughout
- The protection of booking with a fully bonded tour operator
- Toll fees
- Dinners other than those listed
- Travel Insurance
- Anything not listed as included