Have you ever dreamt of riding through the old Wild West of the USA? Have you got a list of “got to see” places in mind? Got a tick list of “must do” experiences? Does your list include, Watch the Sunrise in Monument Valley ✓ Ride through the Valley of the Gods ✓ Take a Helicopter flight into the Grand Canyon ✓ Do Vegas ✓ Ride Death Valley ✓ See the Hoover Dam ✓ Sip a cold beer watching Old Faithful erupt ✓ Ride the Pacific Coast Highway ✓ Raft on the Colorado River ✓ Ride through Yellowstone National Park ✓ and Arches National Park ✓ and Canyonlands ✓ and Mesa Verde ✓ The list goes on and this tour ticks all the boxes.
ULTIMATE WILD WEST
Starting from Portland in Oregon we head south to quaint Bend and on to Boise the State Capitol. The Craters of the Moon National Monument and the Penitentiary Museum are both en route. From the State Capitol we are going to soak away the days riding in the charming town of Lava Hot Springs – population 407. We have a full day to ride in Yellowstone National Park, the first US National Park established in 1872. Although a day won’t be enough as the park is over four times the size of London. Your evening can be spent watching Old Faithful erupt, which she does 20 times per day, everyday. Riding the Chief Joseph Highway is a highlight and this iconic US route takes us to the Wild West Town of Cody founded by, and name for, Buffalo Bill Cody. Horses have largely been replaced by pick ups, but stetsons and cowboy boots are de rigueur. There is a nightly Rodeo if that takes your fancy or relax with a rack of ribs and a cold beer on the main street and watch the world saunter by.
We leave Wyoming for Utah home to some of the biggest fossil finds in the Americas. Vernal is know as “Dinosaurland”. With two night in the chilled out Moab you have decisions to make. Kick back and relax and absorb the decidedly laid back vibe of Moab, or… As it sits on the doorstep of both Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, get out and ride one or both! Arches is the site of more than 2,000 natural sandstone arches, such as the massive, red-hued Delicate Arch in the east and the long thin Landscape Arch in Devils Garden to the north. Canyonlands National Park is known for its dramatic desert landscape carved by the Colorado River. More National Park action follows with Mesa Verde home to the incredible Cliff Dwellings of the Pueblo, inhabited for over 600 hundred years, by these relations of the Aztec.
If you thought that you had crammed a lot in so far then the next few days are going to blow your mind. Our route rides the iconic Moki Dugway. A series of hairpins takes this 3 mile dirt road from high atop Cedar Mesa to the Valley of the Gods. The Valley is carved from the surrounding sandstone and our dirt road route through this incredible landscape will have you stopping for photos time and again. Our destination is Mexican Hat, a small enclave and a simple road house that sets us up for the next morning. Rise early and roll the bikes out of the hotel so we don’t disturb the other guests and just a short ride takes us into Monument Valley. Stop at “Forest Gump Corner” and watch the sunrise on this unmistakeable landscape. Back for breakfast and then on the road to the Grand Canyon. We have two nights here and on our free day there is a real treat planned. Weather permitting you will be taking a helicopter into the Grand Canyon and then it all aboard for a relaxing raft down the Colorado River at its base. You are getting the Grand Canyon from all angles.
To contrast all these iconic sites of natural beauty it’s time to get your sparkle on – Vegas Baby! Two nights in this island in the desert cannot fail to make an impression. It is everything you imagined and more! The only thing now between us and California and our final few days riding the beautiful Pacific Coast Highway is Death Valley. Once we have diced with Death Valley you can relax and soak in the California Coast from Santa Barbara through Big Sur to San Francisco. But our trip wouldn’t be complete without riding across the Golden Gate Bridge and enjoying our final night dining at Fishermans Wharf with view of Alcatraz and that iconic big red bridge.
Motorrad Tours welcome all makes and models of bike on tour. We also have a range of BMW bikes that you can hire. All our hire bikes for Classic and European Explorer Tours are current model BMW’s complete with ABS, Heated Grips, Panniers, Top Box, Tank Bag, Inner bags for all boxes and a pre programmed BMW Navigator GPS included.
|Price option||Solo Shared Single Room||Solo Single Room||*Rider and passenger|
|Riding Your Own Motorcycle||7795||9795||10795|
|Including an F750GS Hire Bike||9795||11795||12795|
|Including an F850GS Hire Bike||9995||11995||12995|
|Including an R1250GS Hire Bike||10295||12295||13295|
PLEASE NOTE: This tour starts and ends in different locations and so you will need to book your flights appropriately.
HIRE BIKES: If you are booking with a hire bike we will hand your bike over on the afternoon prior to the first tour day. This will give you a chance to get familiar with the bike, make any adjustments, arrange your packing and not waste any time on the first day riding.
Day 1 Fly into Portland for the short transfer to our hotel for the pre tour briefing and our welcome dinner
Day 2 An early start to collect the bikes and head off with Mount Hood National Forest and the Smith Rocks State Park en route
Day 3 An early start to collect the bikes and head off with Mount Hood National Forest and the Smith Rocks State Park en route
Day 4 Form the big city to Lava Hot Springs - Population 407. Along the way we will ride the Craters of the Moon National Monument loop road
Day 5 Today we cross the State Line from Idaho and Montana, briefly, becomes the third State on tour so far as we lodge for the night on the edge of Yellowstone
Day 6 A day to wander around Yellowstone National Park and marvel at the thermal pools, the herds of Bison and spot wolves, elk and much more
Day 7 The Chief Joseph Highway is an iconic US motorcycling road and it takes us to the iconic Wild West town of Cody, founded by Buffalo Bill himself
- Two nights at the Grand Canyon
- Take a Helicopter ride into the Grand Canyon * Weather permitting
- Take a raft ride along the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon * Weather permitting
- Ride Mount Hood National Forest
- Visit Smith Rocks State Park
- Ride the Craters of the Moon National Monument
- Soak in the hot springs of Lava Hot Springs
- Marvel at Old Faithful
- Spend a day in Yellowstone National Park
- Ride the Chief Joseph Highway
- Two nights in Moab – Visit Arches National Park – Visit Canyonlands National Park
- Tour the Pueblo Cliff Dwellings of Mesa Verde National Park
- Ride in Ten US States
- Visit the Four Corners Monument
- Ride the infamous Moki Dugway
- Spot, Bison, Wolves, Bears, Eagles, Elk and more
- Ride the Valley of the Gods
- Stay in Buffalo Bills, Cody
- Watch the sunrise in Monument Valley
- Ride a bit of Route 66 in Arizona
- Visit the Hoover Dam
- Two nights in Las Vegas (Try not to lose your shirt!)
- Ride Death Valley *Weather permitting
- Ride the Pacific Coast Highway to Big Sur
- Ride over the Golden Gate
- Dine at Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco
- Pre tour pack including tour information, maps and GPS routes in Garmin/BMW format
- GPS Mapping for the route
- Electronic copy of the World of BMW Touring Essentials Book
- All accommodation as listed. Accommodation will include five nights in comfortable US style motels.
- All breakfasts
- Welcome and Farewell Dinners (exc Beverages)
- Dinner in West Yellowstone, one night in Moab, Mesa Verde, one night at the Grand Canyon and Santa Barbara (exc Beverages)
- Airport Transfers in Portland
- Helicopter and Rafting day trip in the Grand Canyon*
- Entrance to ALL US National Parks en route
- Tour of the Pueblo Cliff Dwellings in Mesa Verde
- Motorrad Tours Tour Leader throughout the Tour
- Motorcycle rental for the duration of the trip
- Comprehensive Insurance with US$1,000 excess/deductible
- Support vehicle and driver throughout the Tour
- Carriage of one soft 60L bag per motorcycle in the support vehicle
- Commemorative Polo Shirt for all riders and passengers
- Expert advice and support throughout
- The protection of booking with a fully bonded tour operator
* Weather permitting
- Travel Insurance
- Anything not listed as included
We haven't added any images from this tour yet, but we will add soon!